Download an Enrollment Form
To be eligible for the PFE Certified Debt Management Professional program, the registrant must:
I. Have a high school degree or the equivalent
II. Have a minimum of six months’ work experience in any of the following:
- Debt Relief Industry, including but not limited to: Credit/Housing/Mortgage and Reverse Mortgage/Bankruptcy/Debt/Budget Counseling
- Financial Services Industry, including, but not limited to: Consumer Finance/Lending, Financial Planning/Advising, Collections
- Or other relevant work experience, including but not limited to: Credit Reporting, Accounting, Financial Education, Financial Therapy
Payment should be submitted with the Enrollment Form. Please see the Enrollment Form for the current fee structure. The Partnership for Financial Education can also bill an agency at the end of the month that programs were requested.
Manuals will be mailed when the Enrollment Form is received. Please note that incomplete Enrollment Forms will not be processed.
Download the Exam Request Form
The certification exam is a 100 question multiple choice, proctored, closed book exam. Exams must be taken within a year from the date of enrollment. The passing grade is 70%.
Enrollees should only request the exam when they are ready to take the exam. Exams must be taken within seven business days of receipt by the proctor.
Exams must be proctored. Acceptable proctors in the work place are individuals who do not have direct reporting responsibility for the exam taker. Acceptable proctors outside of the workplace are testing centers, community/local colleges/libraries or other professionals.
The exam must be mailed back to the Partnership for Financial Education post marked no later than two business days after the date the exam was taken.
The Partnership for Financial Education will notify exam takers of exam result within 14 business days of receiving the exam.
An Exam Retake is allowed for a $50 fee. It is up to the individual/agency as to the number of exam retakes the enrollee can take. You can download the form and pay for the exam retake here.
Certifications are valid for a two year period, which starts on the date the exam was taken.
Continuing Education Requirements
In order to renew certification, the certificate holder must have completed 16 continuing education units (CEUs) in the two year period leading up to renewal. Please note that each continuing education piece can only be completed once in the two year certification cycle.
- 1 CEU is required in ethics
- 15 CEUs are required in topics related to the certification program
Acceptable Continuing Education (CE) Programs
Download a Continuing Education Approval Form
- Any topics covered in the training manual will be considered acceptable for continuing education.
- In order for written material to be eligible for continuing education credit, there must be a testing component, with proof of completion generated.
- If the continuing education unit is a live presentation, a certificate of attendance/completion must be generated.
- Topics specific to the workplace (operational training or agency specific in content) will not be accepted for continuing education.
- Retail books and newspaper and magazine articles will not be accepted for continuing education.
Preapproved Continuing Education Units
Partnership for Financial Education
American Center for Credit Education
- Make Your Move…A Guide to Home Ownership – 5 CEUs
- Money in Motion – 3 CEUs
Institute of Consumer Financial Education
- Credit When Credit is Due – 10 CEUs
Notice regarding approval of CEU submission will be sent out within 14 business days of receipt.
Verification of Completion
Certificate holders will be required to obtain CEU proof of completion. Proof of completion must contain:
- Certificate holder’s name
- Date of CE completion
- Title of CE program
- Number of CEUs earned
- Name and signature of CE provider representative
Certificate holders are not required to submit verification of completion on an ongoing basis. Verification of completion will need to be submitted with the Certification renewal Form.
Download a Certification Renewal Form. You can also pay for the renewal online by following this link.
The Certification Renewal Form must be submitted, along with payment, to renew one’s certification.
There is a $50 certification renewal fee.
- 16 hours of continuing education (CE) are required to renew certification. (Of the 16 CEUs, 1 is required in Ethics.)
- Completed CEUs must be reported on the Certification Renewal Form.
- Verification of completion of CEUs must be submitted with the Renewal Form.
- CEUs earned in excess of the requirement may not be carried into the next certification period.
- A 45 day grace period will be granted to those who need time to complete their CE requirement. Alternatively, certificate holders can re-take the certification exam (the fee will be the prevailing certification program fee).
- Documentation of the new expiration date will be issued within 14 business days of receipt of paperwork.